Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

Is an onocologist a surgeon?

What is pallor?

What is the meaning of life after having got a cancer diagnosis?

How do you cope when you know your friend is dying from cancer? How does she cope?

Can you get cancer from 3 years of smoking?
I just decided to quit smoking but am wondering how bad I have messed up my lungs and body. usually i would smoke a pack every 2 days. will my body return to normal?...

Why do people think smoking is "cool" ? It obviously is just killing people and giving them cancer.?
Maybe someone that does not care about people and just worried about money is behind your little habit? Did you ever think about ...

Do you think there should be higher taxes on cigarettes?

Additional Details
If the extra tax went to the nhs?...

How do u help someone quit smoking?

Is Cancer a Germ?
What is it exactly?
Additional Details
If we eat meat that was infected with cancer... Can cooking the meat kill the cancer cells?...

Can stress cause blood in urine?

Does second-hand smoke cause cancer for non-smokers?
My grandfather smoked all his life. He finally got bone cancer and died. He was always smoking around my grandmother. Is there a good chance that my grandmother could also get cancer because of ...

Does everyone get really sick when haveing chemo?
My daughter had a breast rewmoved aug 28th 2006 she has had one of 14 chemo treatments. I have been told everyone don't get really sick when taking these treatments but I don't honestly ...

“Why do smokers find it hard to quit?

Im 15 years old. When should i start having checkups?
am i too young?
Additional Details
For like breast cancer and things like that!!!...

Cancer?????
i just wanna know how many people here have been affected by it???
my mother died from lung cancer when i was 8......and recentely my father reckons ur born with it.....and its how u live and ...

Why cant they find a cure for my lukema and why is it only a 5% chancs that ill live?

How do you know if a cysst is cancerous?

How do you emotionally deal with being diagnosed with cervical cancer and only be 18?
I just found out today , I have abnormal cells that they found in a recent exam. They say that they have caught it early, so that gives me a fighting chance. So, the only thing that scares me is how ...

My dads just being diagnosed with mutiple myeloma its like cancer of the blood that feeds on the bone marrow.?
Was wondering if anyone could do a quick research and give me ideas some good foods and that. And has any one knew any one thats had it?...

My mate died two weeks riddled wit cancer she never smoked!!!!?
no one smoked in her precence we all was never allowed to smoke near her,respect for her, But she live at the airport and all the aviation fuel which them dump that way for an emergency landing. i ...

JLB
What do you say to someone who just found out they have cancer?
Do they want sympathy? Do they want you to act like it's not there? Do they just want you to listen?

L S
I don't think that they would want sympathy, but they will need you there to support them, to listen when they are ready to talk about it, and to lend a helping hand when they need one.

I know when i was going through the treatments for cancer i really need to hear that i was strong and that i could fight this and win. To have someone to give you an encouraging word means the world to you when you feel like your world is coming to an end, to have them there to let you know that you are going to be ok, that things will be better, that is the strength that gets you through.

FYIIM1KO
Be supportive ,listen,try to be as helpful and "there" for them as possible because they are scared to death.

gsha
There are two kind of people,
(1) who have a strong will power and
(2)the not so strong type.
Both kind of people need different kind of support.
I have seen both types in my Family.
The stronger ones just need you to behave normally with them as if nothing has happened and they have enough will power to survive and live long.
The not so strong type want you to give them extra attention all day long, ask them about their health every time, pamper them, never tell them things they do not like to hear, be sympathetic and give them a lot of love.

punkin_eater26
Be there for them, listen, be supportive. Whatever you do though, DON'T tell them you understand or know how they feel unless you really do.

Raina
Listening is best.
Offer help - "Let me know if I can do anything for you"
"I'm here for you if you want to talk" is good if they are not talking about it.

Do not say "It will be ok" - you don't know that.
Don't say "That's terrible" - they know that and usually don't need to hear it.
Don't say "you must fell terrible" - maybe they don't. Don't assume you know - ask "how are you feeling about this"

iamladysatan
Just be there. They know theres nothing to say.- But- if you do say anything- make sure its real .. like it really means something . not like.. "im sure ull be ok" - cuz right now. nothing is ok-.or- "ill be here for you"- unless u really eally plan on being there. ANd then maybe tell them how u actually plan on helping them. If u do- u better dedicate to it.

yαноо'ѕ яєѕіdєηт ρнαямαсіѕт
They want you to listen...

My father died of colon cancer in May of 04.

He kept the info to himself, probably because he didn't want to trouble my brothers and I. We WISH he would've told us, but it was his choice to make....

?
my mother had cancer. we treated her the same as always. but most important we were there when she needed to talk, laugh or cry.

lavengro59
Rating
Don't tell them it will all work out. Tell them it's a rotten bit of luck and God must be a fool to do this to you. Tell them you love and revere them. (If you do.) Tell them you know they don't have any time to waste and that you'll stick with them through all the hard and painful episodes. Ask them if they would please keep a journal occasionally and let you read it. Assure them that you'll always respect them and respect their wishes as to treatment, non-treatment, pain management, and final arrangements.

ra63
They need to know you care, and they may need to talk. You can also offer to help. If the person is going to have chemo, they might need someone to take them for treatments. Helping out with meals when the patient is not feeling well would be another thing you could do.

Patgar
Tell them that you will give them anything they ask for. Tell them that a fellow cancer patient is praying for them.

Kathy G
Rating
Be a good listner and tell them you will be there for them to help them through it all

TedEx
Here's what my wife appreciated.
in the hospital:
Frequent visits, but short ones.
Little gifts, a newspaper, a soda ( check w/ the nurses if it is ok)
Good news. Your aunt is feeling better. Leave the bad news outside, unless really important. They have cancer, don't burden them with your toothache.
Phone calls during the day, if just to say hello.
Does this person live alone? Offer to check the mail, or water the garden or shovel snow. Bettter yet, just do it.

Once discharged, offer specifics, not just let me know if I can do anything. How about, " are up to going to the mall and walk around. I'll pick you up in an hour. OK? "

Let then unload on you, don't pour your troubles on them.Small talk, how's your doctor.

Be a friend. Be yourself.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy