Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

Is 12 years old an age you could get breast cancer?
im scared to death....

My mom-in-law has cancer in lungs & spine and is nearing the end. What can we expect?

Could i have colon cancer???
im only 14 years old but for almost a year i have had rectal bleeding and it is more painful each time i emptty could it be i didnt tell sooner cuz im scared my uncle died of colon cancer and it ...

Anyone here gone through Chemo?
I want to know how it felt and what changes were noticed during the therapy? also.... any tips on how to deal with it ?thanks.
Additional Details
or know anyone who has gone through it?...

Tumor in the Kidney?
Has anyone heard of kidney cancer? What causes it? Is it possible for a child to have it? Are there treatments for it? If so, what?...

My grandmother has lung and brain cancer... and shes been having horrible pains! what can we do?
Mostly the pains are in her sholder... where we think the cancer may have spread. She has been miserable! what can we do to ease the pain a little? Is there anything? PLEASE HELP!!!

Inflammatory Breast Cancer??? Please help!?
Last week I noticed a small reddish spot on top of my right breast, almost near the arm pit. There is no lump or heat, but it was sore whenever it was touched.

One week later, the soreness ...

Shrinkage of tumor with radiation...how does it work?
my dad has been going to radiation treatment about 8 times now. the doctor took a measurement of the tumor after 4 treatments and said that he noticed that it had gotten smaller. and he did some ...

Cure for oesophagus cancer?
my father who's 55 yrs old and have oesophagus cancer he can't eat solid food only liquid food he can. he's having radiation n chemotherapy; what kind of vegetables we have to give him ...

I'm a 23 old healthy male, living in CT, holding different p-time jobs and do not have health insurance? Help!

Is this skin cancer? With photo.?
I have had this for almost 2 months. It doesn't itch or hurt. I have searched for a while to find a picture like it but cannot find one. What is your opinion? Thanks
http://i258.photobucket....

Is casual smoking harmful?
I have a serious question here, and would appreciate some serious answers :)

I'm 19 and I smoke probably about...ten cigarettes a month on average. The only time I pick up cigarettes ...

Curing Cancer through Holistic Healing?
Has anyone heard of this or had experiences with it? I've heard stories of people curing (not treating) their cancer mainly through using the power of their mind. Basically training their body ...

Is it true that all illness, even cancer is caused by viruses?

Can barbecued meat cause cancer?
I hear that BBQ meat can cause cancer? Is this true and if so.... how?...

How can you lower your risk of breast cancer?

I have bladder cancer. Dr. scopes every 3 mon. I just had this done 10 days ago.?
I have had bleeding and clots. The dr. goes thru the uterus to get to the bladder, i also have alot of pain, that i never had after other surgeries to scope. He always cauterizes clusters of tumors. I...

Have you ever heard of a doctor going through chemo. for cancer?
Just wondering, with SO MANY people lately being diagnosed with cancer and going through chemo....
BUT, I have not heard of any doctors going through with chemo.
Does anyone else find this ...

My uncle passed away of caner.....bad not to go to funeral?
My Uncle passed away from a long battle of cancer and in a way i am relieved because he is not longer suffering and sad at the same time for the loss in my family. This is my moms brother and he is ...

Husband has cancer?
my husband has cancer and i had to quit my job is there a way to get payed for quitting a job to take care of him and our daughter?...

missjeg
Is radiation for cancer harmful to other?

Marcus O
It goes down from generations. The children of the exposed person will have partial affects to the radiation....At least I think so. Thats waht my teacher told me

angie.ackerman
I am not sure if radiation used to treat cancer cells is harmful, but, I am pretty sure that it could have some kind of effect on others, just not sure what the effects are. I do know that if you or someone in your family has what's called a PET scan, the patient is injected with radiation and glucose (sugar water) so that the radiation surrounds any cancer cells in the body (cancer cells thrive on sugar). My mother recently had PET scan and while @ the doctor she went to the restroom. While she was in there, they put a sign on the door that said "RADIOACTIVE" and had to clean the bathroom when she was done. She also was not allowed to kiss my childeren and they were not allowed to drink after her for about 24 hours. They did say that it affects adults differently and did not give her any precautions to follows for adults. I know this probably doesn't answer your question excatly, but it's just info you might need to know since I'm sure you or someone in your family was diagnosed recently. I hope this helps you.

Medo Moussa
Rating
It is not that harmful.

Anyway, everything in life has usefulness and harmfulness; advantages and disadvantages, etc.

So, just pray, and do the radiation. :)

HUGO & GABY
no is not harmful for others un les you are in the same room of the rediation

David B
Rating
no

nannyshae@sbcglobal.net
I'm certain that it can be. I'm not certain to what degree though. And I say it can because when my 2 year old daughter was severely sick and they couldn't pinpoint her illness... SEVERAL doctors asked me if she had been around anyone undergoing chemo therapy. That to me proves that there is potential for some harm to others. However, I do think it is rare but possible. I hope all is well with you and your loved ones! Have a blessed day!

Thin Kaboudit
Rating
"Radiation" is just energy. Yes, it can be harmful, but when it is being used to treat cancer it is SUPPOSED to be harmful to the targeted cancer cells!

Life is not a "zero-sum" game: chlorine in the drinking water is probably harmful to some extent, and may even cause cancer eventually, but if the water wasn't treated we'd all die of cholera & typhoid at age 3 instead of having an increased risk of cancer at age 60!

Barbra
Other people are not there during the radiation treatment, so it's not harmful to them. It's to shrink the cancer and make you well. But, there is no reason to be exposed to it unless it's for a treatment. Does this answer your question?

Mark D
Rating
First off, you would have to define what you mean by "other" (a husband/wife in the same living room with you after you return home from a treatment vs. offspring yet to be conceived...) I work in radiation oncology (cancer treatment with radiation) and I can assure you that external beam radiation therapy is not harmful to another individual, as they are not present with the patient at the time of treatment. The radiation is turned on much like a light bulb, and when the daily treatment is done, the radiation is shut off as in a light bulb. There is no residual radiation (i.e. you are not glowing when you drive home), for there to be ill effects for a non-treated individual. The only occassion that prescribed radiation treatments can affect others is through what is called "brachytherapy" or "implant therapy" like prostate seeding. There are certain recommendations for those particular treatments and for those who are caring for individuals undergoing such therapy. The bottom line is radiation is extremely safe in a therapeutic setting and so should not be confused with what we read or see in movies when they speak of radiation "leaks", "dirty bombs", accidents like Chernobyl, etc. It is a truly a marvel of modern science, and a great benefit to many millions of cancer patients each year!!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, October 24, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy