Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

What would be good to put in a care packge for my friend who has Stage 4 Melanoma (cancer)?

Smoking Gives you Cancer, What about Natrual Smoke, Camp Fires, Weed, Ect...ect?
My friends and I were having a discussion, we all know smoking gives you cancer, has been for many years, we all know that.

What about Weed, Its Natural, and I remember hearing something ...

World cancer day?
AS TODAY IS WORLD CANCER DAY GIVE SOME TIPS...

Is cancer infectious desease?

My father-in-law has lymphoma. the doctors say it is stage 4. how short is his time?
he was taken to the VA hospital last night. his blood oxygen was way down (71). they gave him a transfusion and he is on oxygen. he looks yellow. he wants to go home because he doesn't want to ...

Group of blood vessels grouped together to form a tumour called?

I was diagnosed this week with CLL. How do I tell my 13 year old daughter?
Stage 3, have not yet begun any treatment. I am still in shock..please, any suggestions on how to tell my daughter? We are very close and she knows nothing up to this point, other than I was not ...

My biopsy results came back and they said it's not mild, what does this mean?
I had a biopsy done and all they could tell me over the phone is that it is not mild. What is a mild result and what could I have if it is not mild? Could I have precancerous cells or could I have ...

Breast Cancer........?
I think i found a lump in my breast, but im not to sure, i know there is a way u can check ur self.. but im just not to sure how to do it, could some one PLEASE tell me how to do it myself.... also ...

What are your suggestions for healing cancer?
For you are a part of my God!

Healing be unto you and yours and me and mine
In Forgive Affirmed Spirit
~skahhh
Additional Details

Can you smoke insense?
Will it effect your body
if you put a plaster at the bottom and inhale will it act as ...

Why is there blood in my stool?

Any ideas>?
I had a tumor taken out of my body when i was 5 months old.... i have one kidney now and cant play very many sports..... anyone have any suggestions? i need a hobby.... my father told me they also ...

Mom might have breast cancer?
My mom told me her mammogram came out abnormal.
She said she has to go back next week to do another.
i'm afraid she might have breast cancer, i've been crying all night.
She ...

Why won't the pharmaceutical companies promote the cure for cancer that has been found in DCA?
Look it up. http://www.dca-dichloroa...

Sometimes my breasts hurts, is that a sign for cancer??
I mean what are the signs for having breasts cancer??...

Why do they say ''He or She LOST their fight with Cancer''?
How could they say they lost the fight with cancer. Some cancers you can't control and they're almost impossible to beat yet they say ' they lost their fight with cancer' as if ...

Hair falling down is this cancer?
well my friends hair is falling down and she wants to know if its cancer?...

Which are the only animals who don't get cancer?

Additional Details
there are 3...

Does she have skin cancer?
my mom has something on her foot that kinda looks like a large pimple. she has had this for a few months but it was very small. now it is 4 times that size. she will go to the doctor soon probley. ...

biddy_coyle
How do you get bone cancer?

CartomartaBrand♥
??????idk

evol
probably from breaking a bone that wasnt fixed right

JAM---X‫‫‬‬
Can you get bone cancer tbh?

sunny365
ITS GENETIC......OR SOMETHING......

Gorilla Man
Why would you want bone cancer.

girlie
i don't think any1 really knows, otherwise there'd be a cure wouldn't there?

Greg
Rating
Well, their are types of bone canacer which apply in the mouth, sometimes Oral Cancer, but to what you were saying, not enough bone marrow in the bone which is White Blood Cell.

DAVE P
Usually by having another form of cancer that spreads to your bones.

Veronica Alicia
Most bone tumours are secondaries - they have spread from a primary malignant tumour somewhere else in the body. Cancers of the lung, breast, prostate, kidney or thyroid are most likely to spread to bone tissue.
It's quite rare for primary tumours to start in the bone and if they do, most of them are benign. If they are malignant they tend to spread rapidly..

val f1 nutter
same way as every other cancer. my ex mother-in-law has it and it is heart breaking to watch such a formerly active woman reduced to tears just trying to walk. there is no cure, only a possible remission of 5 years.

rascalcode
"getting" any cancer is not something that is very well known. It is a genetic problem that may be triggered by environmental factors, or may just come upon you all of a sudden because of who your parents are.

Basically, cancer is just a cell that's gone wrong. Something happens to turn on its "infant" mode of undifferentiated reproduction - just multiply with no purpose.

The cell keeps multiplying (without purpose, which means the cells do not become anything like a leg), and crowds out cells necessary for your survival.

Cancer is just undifferentiated cells that multiply to crowd out "normal" cells until you die, of something kills off those cells.

Again, "getting" cancer has been shown to be genetic (breast cancer), or caused by chemicals or a virus. (In women, see the pap smear virus - human papillomaviruses .) Or, look up "love canal" for cancer clusters caused by polution.

Ron.

laplandfan
Often cancer starts somewhere else in the body and can spread to other organs of the body (metastasise) lungs, brain, bones, liver etc.
However the primary cancer can start in the bones.

spoiler
there are different risk factors for you to get bone cancer.. it maybe due to your genes (if your parents or your great great grandparents had it there is a probability that you will have it too), it could be due to environmental or occupational factors (working with things that omit radiations, things like that..) or it could be related to ones lifestyle.

the truth is there is no single reason for a person to develop a cancer. every factors are interrelated and there are still no clear explanation about specific causes of bone cancer.

hope this helps...

Dr Frank
Same way as you get any other cancer, the body fails to identify cancer cells, which are produced in all areas of the body, and the immune system fails to destroy the cancerous cell, which then multiplies. Drugs, toxins and radiation increase the number of mutations and thus the risk.

Black
Bone Cancer: Questions and Answers

What are bones made of and how do they function?

Mature bones are made up of three types of tissue: compact tissue (the hard outer portion of most bones); cancellous tissue (spongy tissue inside the bones that contains bone marrow, which makes blood cells); and subchondral tissue (smooth bone tissue of the joints). A layer of cartilage covers subchondral tissue to cushion the movement of joints.

Bones support and protect internal organs, act as levers and braces for muscles to produce movement, and produce and store blood cells in the bone marrow.

Are all bone tumors cancerous?

Bone tumors may be benign (noncancerous) or malignant (cancerous). Benign bone tumors are more common than malignant ones. Both types may grow and compress healthy bone tissue and absorb or replace it with abnormal tissue. However, benign tumors do not spread and are rarely life-threatening.

Cancer that arises in the bone (primary bone cancer) is not the same disease as cancer that spreads to the bone from another part of the body (secondary bone cancer). Primary bone cancer is rare, with approximately 2,500 new cases diagnosed each year in the United States. More commonly, bones are the site of tumors that result from the spread (metastasis) of cancer from another organ, such as the breasts, lungs, and prostate.

This fact sheet deals with primary bone cancer.

What types of cancer arise in the bones?

The most common type of bone cancer is osteosarcoma, which develops in new tissue in growing bones. Another type of cancer, chondrosarcoma, arises in cartilage. Evidence suggests that Ewing’s sarcoma, another form of bone cancer, begins in immature nerve tissue in bone marrow. Osteosarcoma and Ewing’s sarcoma tend to occur more frequently in children and adolescents, while chondrosarcoma occurs more often in adults (see chart).

Cancers of the Bone Types of Cancer Tissue of Origin Common Locations Common Ages
Osteosarcoma Osteoid Knees, upper legs, upper arms 10–25
Chondrosarcoma Cartilage Pelvis, upper legs, shoulders 50–60
Ewing’s Sarcoma Immature nerve tissue,
usually in bone marrow Pelvis, upper legs, ribs, arms 10–20

What are possible risk factors for bone cancer?

Although scientists are not certain what causes bone cancer, a number of factors may put a person at increased risk. These cancers occur more frequently in children and young adults, particularly those who have had radiation or chemotherapy treatments for other conditions. Adults with Paget’s disease, a noncancerous condition characterized by abnormal development of new bone cells, may be at increased risk for osteosarcoma. A small number of bone cancers are due to heredity. For example, children with hereditary retinoblastoma (an uncommon cancer of the eye) are at a higher risk of developing osteosarcoma.

What are the symptoms of bone cancer?

Pain is the most common symptom of bone cancer. However, symptoms may vary depending on the location and size of the cancer. Tumors that occur in or near joints may cause swelling or tenderness in the affected area. Bone cancer can also interfere with normal movements and can weaken the bones, occasionally leading to a fracture. Other symptoms may include fatigue, fever, weight loss, and anemia. None of these symptoms is a sure sign of cancer. They may also be caused by other, less serious conditions. It is important to check with a doctor.

How is bone cancer diagnosed?

To diagnose bone cancer, the doctor asks about the patient’s personal and family medical history and does a complete medical exam. The doctor may suggest a blood test to determine the level of an enzyme called alkaline phosphatase. A large amount of alkaline phosphatase can be found in the blood when the cells that form bone tissue are very active—when children are growing, when a broken bone is mending, or when disease or a tumor causes production of abnormal bone tissue. Because high levels of this enzyme can normally be found in growing children and adolescents, this test is not a completely reliable indicator of bone cancer.

X-rays can show the location, size, and shape of a bone tumor. If x-rays suggest that a tumor may be cancer, the doctor may recommend special imaging tests such as a bone scan, a CT (or CAT) scan, an MRI, or an angiogram. However, a biopsy—the removal of a sample of tissue from the bone tumor—is needed to determine whether cancer is present.

The surgeon may perform a needle biopsy or an incisional biopsy. During a needle biopsy, the surgeon makes a small hole in the bone and removes a sample of tissue from the tumor with a needle-like instrument. In an incisional biopsy, the surgeon cuts into the tumor and removes a sample of tissue. Biopsies are best done by orthopedic oncologists—doctors experienced in the diagnosis of bone cancer. A pathologist—a doctor who identifies disease by studying cells and tissues under a microscope—examines the tissue to determine whether it is cancerous.

What are the treatment options for bone cancer?

Treatment options depend on the type, size, location, and stage of the cancer, as well as the person’s age and general health. Surgery is often the primary treatment. Although amputation of a limb is sometimes necessary, pre- or post-operative chemotherapy has made limb-sparing surgery possible in many cases. When appropriate, surgeons avoid amputation by removing only the cancerous section of the bone and replacing it with an artificial device called a prosthesis.

Chemotherapy and radiation may also be used alone or in combination. Because of the tendency for Ewing’s sarcoma to metastasize rapidly, multidrug chemotherapy is often used, in addition to radiation therapy or surgery on the primary tumor.

Are new treatments being studied?

To develop new, more effective treatments, the National Cancer Institute is sponsoring clinical trials (treatment studies with cancer patients) in many hospitals and cancer centers around the country. Clinical trials are a critical step in the development of new methods of treatment. Before any new treatment can be recommended for general use, doctors conduct clinical trials to find out whether the treatment is safe for patients and effective against the disease. Various forms of cancer treatments using surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy for bone cancer are being tested in clinical trials.

Patients who are interested in learning more about participating in clinical trials can call the Cancer Information Service or access the clinical trials page of the National Cancer Institute’s Web site at http://www.cancer.gov/clinical_trials on the Internet.

barbara c
My grandson had bone cancer and he was asked if he had ever banged himself.Some of the children on his ward had bone cancer in limbs that had previously been broken.

Syaoran Li
here is a website
http://www.answers.com/bone+cancer?cat=health&gwp=13

Panda
No one knows what causes bone cancer or the majority of cancers. A primary bone cancer is generally a sarcoma. A bone sarcoma is very rare and predominately strikes children and young adults.

There are three types of bone sarcoma: Osteosarcoma; Ewing's Sarcoma, and Chrondosarcoma.

There are also secondary bone cancers that can occur from a different source . . this is called metastasis and means that
a cancer cell started somewhere else, such as in the breast has now left that breast area and invaded the bones, causing a new tumor.

ACS: Do we know what causes bone cancer?
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_2X_Do_we_know_what_causes_bone_cancer_2.asp?sitearea=

UK: Causes of Primary bone cancer
http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Cancertype/Bone/Causesdiagnosis/Causes

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Monday, March 25, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy