Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

Can you detect alcohol through a hair sample?

Will this help my husband who has been diagnosed with alzheimers early stage?
He is now on Aricept 10...

Why are caucasian people more prone to developing skin cancer than african american people?
I heard it on TV today and the answer I came up with isnt really fair so I still want to ...

Is there anywhere that a cancer patient can get help with their meds?

Brain Cancer tests?
I'm wondering what would be the most accurate, cheapest test to rule out brain cancer. The three I know of are PET,CAT, and MRI. With MRI being the most expensive I believe. Would a contrast ...

A girl in my school has leukemia, what should I do to make her feel better?
She's getting chemo done all day today. I feel terrible, especially because she is only in the 4th grade (I'm in 8th). She was nice and very healthy and athletic. What should I do for her?<...

How can I tell that I may be developing lung cancer?
I have an ON and OFF smoking habbit,some times I feel chest pains and some times while taking a deep breath,I also feel pains!! Could that be an indication that I may be developing lung cancer?...

What is chemotherapy?

How do u get Cancer?
I know alot of ppl who died from cancer......... HOW!!!!!!!! thank ...

I just rec'd a call this AM from my Dr informing me that I have melanoma.?
I am trying not to get excited about this, but of course I never had a call like this one before. I went to the Derm a few weeks ago for my six month visit for my acne. I had a large mole on my arm ...

My friend has a lump on his thigh ):?
i have this male friend who has a lump on his inner thigh (groin area) its the size of about a thumb nail, and is purpleish in colour, it only hurts him when he puts pressure on it. Hes really ...

Does any body beleve in the paranormal?

Hey, does anyone know a modern person or organisation that cures people?

Symptoms of breast cancer????
i hope i am getting ahead of myself, but am wondering...
i just noticed a lump on the outside of my right breast about middle ways. it is the sz of a nickel, but is oval shaped & is hard. i ...

Hodgkins Lymphoma?
I went to the dr yesterday because of a lump in my neck.

He said it was definately a Lymph node that swollen enough to worry about.

I had blood work done this morning and im ...

How long will it take to catch cancer from second hand smoke?
I moved in with some roommates, and they smoke like 1-2 packs a day. And they smoke it when they're playing Call of Duty, so I'm always out there with them catching that second hand smoke. I...

Just cause a mole is itchy, is it skin cancer?
Ok, so my cousin has a mole on her face, on the left side of her mouth. Its dark brown, and raised. It's not small, but not huge. Smaller than the cancer size which is a pencil eraser. And she ...

Lung cancer?
My old friend has cancer of the lung, gone to the bone and now into the kidneys. Realistically how long do you feel she has. She has to make it to see her son marry very soon....

I'm 13 and my right breast is itching and kind of hurts and sometimes the left hurts what does it mean?
i'm scared because they said that one of the signs of breast cancer is itching. also on my breast the itching cause my areola to be dry and scaly i'm scared and sometimes there is a little ...

Does dying your hair give you a better chance of giving you cancer?
Because I want to dye my hair....

Kiri
How can a doctor tell how long a cancer patient has left to live?
If a doctor says to a cancer patient "you only have 3 months to live", how can a doctor predict exactly how long a particular cancer patient has left of his/her life. Do they use a particular instrument or machine or....?

Card Buff
A doctor cannot predict exactly how long a cancer patient will live, but they can make an educated guess based on statistics examining the survival rate of different types of cancer and at which stage they present at the time of diagnosis. It is also based on experience with prior patients during their training and practice. You develop a sort of sixth sense about these things. With that being said, there are always exceptional cases, but they are rare. In cases where patients have advanced disease with metastatic involvement of other organs, the prognosis is usually very poor.

Regardless
Rating
There is no telling for sure. They are educated guesses. Sometimes, they say that a patient will only live for a few months, but remain alive for more than a year.

selysammi
No one can, don't believe that!
Above all stay positive mind, body and soul.
Many live two weeks to twenty years so never go by another man's guesstimation....

Live!

Max Power
Rating
An educated guess based on historical information. The issue is when applying it to an individual. People tend to discount it, because human nature has people talking about the person given six months to live and lives a lot longer. No one talks about the person that lived for five months.

yvonnechoi12
Rating
I believe it's just an educated guess based on how far the disease has progressed, where it is and what they've seen in the past.

Yagen P
Rating

They are just making an educated guess. It depends on where the cancer tumor is, how aggressive the cancer cells are, and how the body is responding to it.

There's an explanation of this at http://www.cancerdoubts.com

Gary B
They can't "tell". The can only make an educated guess.

Hospital keep statistic on all their patients. For example, they keep records of the date a patient with a particular kind of cancer comes in, and the date he died. They do that for EVERY patient, and they have been doing that for over 100 years.

They use "statistical mathematics" to determine, based on ALL the patients, how likely it is that a ptient will live, given this kind of cancer.

For example, if you have multiple myeloma (blood cancer), only about 1 in 10 patients lives for five years. About 3 out of 4 patients will live for 2 years.

So the doctor will look at your disease, see how bad it is, the make a "guess" based on how sick you are compared to all the other patients with this type of cancer.

In reality, the patient may live longer, or the may not live as long. BOTH answers would be correct, because this is a statistical guess, not a true, hard answer.

But most doctors aare pretty good at this, and their "guesses" are pretty accurate.

Panda
Rating
No one, not even a doctor can tell how long an individual patient will live. What they can do is give a guesstimate based on statistics, their own experiences, their knowledge of that patient (a healthy individual with cancer would probably outlive someone with multiple health issues with the same cancer) . . . but no one can really tell . .death has its own timeframe. That is why sometimes a patient will say . . "Ten years ago the doctors told me I'd be dead in six months . .but I'm still here." It happens more often than anyone mentions.

That is why a cancer patient should not look at statistics for their cancer . . ignore it . . everyone is an individual and there is no way a doctor can accurately predict what will happen to an individual patient.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy