Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

Can mt. dew give you cancer??
my friend told me that diet mt. dew is worse than regular because it increases your chances of getting cancer, is this true?
he says theres something called 'splenda' that when ...

I need ideas on how to get my mum to stop smoking!!..please help!!?
My mum has been smoking since she was 17 and shes now 48..we are are very close,but o matter what i say she wont stop...there must be something i can do1..I need ideas..???...

I just lost my sister to lupus yesterday! how do i deal??!!?
My sister was my everything!, my bff! ,she was one of two of the most important people in my life! and i lost her to lupus yesterday! She put up a good fight for 5 yrs. with it..I'm crushed, i ...

Cancer, Has anyone had cemo? or anyone know about it?
My father has cancer, hes 59 years old. he has been given a 14 day trial of steriods.

We havent heard anything else yet but we know they offerd cemo

so my question is did they ...

If you don't burn while tanning, do you still have to worry about skin cancer?

My grandmother has breast cancer. Any thoughts on what I can do to help? I feel so powerless!?

Chemotheropy?
What are the side affects of it....

Does quitting smoking activates cancer cells?

What is terminal brain cancer?
A lot of people have tried to explain it to me, but I really don't understand. What exactly is terminal brain cancer?...

My boyfriend's mom is dying of cancer, is this it??
She has been bravely fighting lung and then brain cancer for the past year. They gave her 6 wks in November. She does have Hospice. (Thank u for them). She has become completely immobile the past ...

How often are doctors right about people having cancer?
My dad has just been diagnosed with skin cancer but we don't know for sure....

What does it mean when a bone scan shows that... please read??
So my Mom is having severe bone pain, in her hips and legs. She's already had a blood clot removed, and it still hurt. She went in to get a bone scan, and now they told her that she needs to ...

Ecstacy and chemotherapy-what are the risks?

Are people going through cancer treatment eligible for short term Social Security disability benefits?
I have cancer and someone told me I should apply. Does anyone know if this is possible? I'm a stay at home mom and money is running low....Thanks in advance....

Help with raising money for daughter's surgery?
Does anyone know how I could go about raising money for our daughter's surgery in about two weeks? We need to raise money for our hotel, food, gas, car repairs to get there and other expenses. I...

I heard that terrorist are going to posion the Tabacco industry and kill all the smokers could this be true?

Can you get cancer from eating someone with cancer?
On CSI, two teenagers ate a girl with e-coli and they got e-coli. Well, if you eat someone with cancer well would you get cancer?
Additional Details
This is out of curiosity only....

My 10 year old son went for a xray?
yesterday i had to go to a&e so my son could have a xray on his right arm!.....luckily he had broke nothing but it was causing him alot of discormfort....any way when we was called back in 2 the ...

Do you believe that, after DEATH, we can meet people we loved in this world?

IS breast cancer easier to treat in a 58yr old lady than a 30 yr old one?
HOW long is the stay in hospital stay after ...

melanie x
Family member undergoing chemo, safe to be around?
My father is going through chemotherapy. His doctor told him he cannot be around children while undergoing treatments. Well, I am 36 weeks pregnant and wondered if anyone knows if it is unsafe to be around him. He needs rides to chemo and I planned on taking him, but I do not know if it is safe or not.

WildOne
Rating
The reason they say not to be around children is because children are GERM MAGNETS! When on chemo, your immune system is nearly depleted and you're vulnarable to almost any and every disease out there. I believe that your unborn child is okay to be around your dad.

Wish your father good luck for me, okay?

renae2007_1986
Rating
my mom had chemo and being near her wasnt contagious the only thing the dr said was that her being around little children can upset her she couldnt lift them and they cause stress with thier playing they just need quiet and rest. it will not harm the baby inside you.

bama2
Rating
the reason is that kids carry so meanin greams ...people who is goin throuh chemo ..is more likey to catch something ...i could not be around my grandkids if they had a cold ..or started to have one ...sorry its best that way ...

przhm247
I'd say that you'd be safe.

Jesus will make sure of this!

Im glad to hear that you're pregnant; but you'll be okay.

odiosapura
Rating
not safe. keep away.

tarkarri
Rating
It is more that the children pose a risk to him than the other way around!

In most cases, chemotherapy reduces your resistance to disease and you will pick up anything that is going!

Children are the most likely source of infection as they have lower immunities than adults, so are more likely to catch and pass on infection.

You should be perfectly safe around him, but check with his Dr in case it is some wierd form of chemo.

I was given the advice to avoid mixing with children when I was on chemo, and the above was the explanation my oncologist gave me.

garfld_2006
Rating
why dont you ask his doctor next time you take him. hope everything goes well for him:)

physco
Rating
The doctor doesn't want him to be around children because children carry germs that your dad may catch. His immune system is down and he can't take the risk of becoming sick.As far as you being around him it is perfectly safe.That's only if you aren't sick with a cold,etc.
I wish your dad the best and hope everything turns out fine. Keep your faith.

Mopar Muscle Gal
Rating
Its safe as long as there is some fresh air ventilation
keep the window open a crack on their side

hugs to you and your Dad

tell him to keep drinking lots of water
I personally loved the generic otter pops to prevent mouth sores during Chemo

Panda
The actual warning is the other way around. Your father on chemotherapy can't harm anyone . . but children and even you can harm your father by exposing him to germs, viruses, and bacteria. Because he is on chemotherapy his immune system will often be compromised, he could get sick very easily which could be life threatening.

Please read the following information about the immune system and why your father is at risk around people who may have colds or the flu:

Chemotherapy and Blood Counts
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_1_7X_How_Will_Chemotherapy_Affect_My_Blood_Cell_Count.asp

The Immune System
http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=118

We keep some of that germ free hand lotion in the kitchen, bathroom and our sons room. We use it frequently and encourage guests too also. When our sons counts are low (usually only a day or two) we use special precautions to keep him from catching anything.

As for your unborn child . . I'm sure its fine to be around your Dad, but just to be absolutely sure just ask his doctor or call your own doctor. Your Dad should be extra careful around any child that has been exposed to the chicken pox as it is possible to pick up a nasty variety of shingles.

Best of luck to you.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Thursday, October 23, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy