Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

Does ur chest get smaller wen u get breast cancer??
Plz answer this, is very important!!...

UK What should my friend do about her cancer?
She had an operation for cancer some time ago, now they say it's back. They told her she should have chemo a few weeks ago, then she went to an outpatients clinic thinking it was to sort out the ...

Don't you think worse than havin cancer to die from would be Alzheimer's?
Just watched an old movie that i had never seen before with Mia Farrow and Martin Sheen and i was spellbound to what this woman was going through. I had rather die from anything but having my brain ...

Lisa
Does chemotherapy cause a significant amount of weight gain?
I ask this question because my oncologist said that I will gain weight during chemo treatment but she says that it will be less than 5lbs. I have a feeling that I may gain more weight than just 5ibs. I will be taking combination chemo so I will be taking 3 different chemo drugs. She says that I will not loose any weight during chemo treatment. Do you think that this is true? Do you think that I may just gain less than 5 ibs?

Panda
It is different for different types of cancer, the stage, the dosage of chemo and the combinations of drugs used. You would need to be more specific.

My teenage son had advanced cancer and used high dose chemo . . he lost 30 pounds . . and never gained any weight at all. He still looked pretty strong the overwhelming majority of times and ate well. For a cancer patient he looked healthy.
But he never gained any weight and was able to eat anything he wanted. (sometimes he had to take medication to encourage him to eat more . . steroids would do it).

Best of luck.

theoriginalquestmaker
Rating
I'm surprised that your oncol says you will only gain 5 pounds. There really is no telling how much weight you'll gain. if any. I gained 15 pounds and the last 7 pounds kept yoyoing.

Eric Knows Best
No, my dad lost weight because of all the drugs and the chemo just changed his appetite and taste buds that he didn't like the feeling and taste of food.

He was given TPN through and IV.

doglover
My mum didn't gain any significant weight - she did chemo for eight years. It might depend on the type of chemo you're getting though.

Nice One!
Rating
I gained a lot of weight during chemo - nearer 25 than 5lbs (I had FEC for breast cancer). Most people I know who have had chemo have experienced weight gain.

It is because of the steroids; you may well find that you have a HUGE appetite for some of the time. And of course because of chemo side effects you will be far less active than usual.

My advice is not to worry about it; you may not gain any weight at all, but if you do you can work on losing it when chemo is over.

Good luck with your treatment.

Char
I gained a lot because Prednisone [a steroid] was part of my chemo. I gained back the 20 lbs I lost when I was getting sick, and another 20 besides!
Best wishes

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.004
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy