Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

Help - why won't my mom take me to the doctor?
A few years or so back I noticed I had a small lump near my jaw bone. My parents think it's just a fatty tumor. Flash forward to a few days ago and I noticed a lump behind my life shoulder blade....

Breast Cancer!! I'm only 13?
I was wondering how to check for breast cancer. 'Cause I have pimple like lumps on my nipple. Also is it possible to get pimples on your breasts cause I've been wearing the same bra, ...

Why is CANCER so deadly?
My great-uncle died from cancer of the oesophagus (the food tube from the mouth to the stomach) It then spread to other organs, such as the heart and lungs. What makes the body decide to turn on ...

If a person is diagnosed with cancer do u think they have a right to know?
When my father was diagnosed my mother and 2 sisters felt that telling him would only make him worse. He was given 4-6 months to live and the doctors said there was nothing could be done for him. Its ...

My friend is dying of cancer- I don't know what to say to him.?

Is it wrong to not tell your family you have might have serious cancer?
I'm 22 and don't want to worry anyone. I've told a few friends about the biopsy, but not the results.
Additional Details

Is there anything now days that doesn't give you cancer?
organic food doesn't then it does, high fat diets do then don't,low fat diets do then don't. If you eat a malteaser on a Wednesday afternoon you are more likely to get cancer than if ...

Can you get lung cancer from one of your famliy members that smokes and you dont?
My dad smokes since he was 18 years old. Can I get lung cancer from him even if i dont smoke?...

I want to test out a theory about smokers.?
A co-worker and I were discussing this, and I wanted others opinions on it. I am a smoker, she quit several years ago. She think that most smokers skip breakfast, she did when she smoked and now ...

Should smokers be put to the back of the line when they wait for treatment caused by smoking.?
i think non smokers should get prefferential treatment and get operated on first as long as the op is not life threatening.smokers have brought on their own afflictions and deserve to be treated last,...

Why cant my son talk? Serious only please!!?
My son is almost 2, and he cant talk. Have you dealt with this? what is wrong with him???

If youpost anything derogitory about my son, I will flag you and send you a citation !!!!!!!!!!...

Why is life so bl@@dy cruel?
Just when i thought my life couldn't get any worse than it is already, something comes along and smacks me full belt in the face and knocks the wind out of my sails!
I lost my wonderful mum ...

You have one year to live, tops you find out 5 days before your wedding Day, Do you tell your spouse?
you get diagnosed with a terminal illness that is incureable, you find out five days before you get married, you have about a year to live and you already told them you cannot have children. Do you ...

Should cigarette smokers be refused medical treatment for lung cancer if they continue smoking?

My dad has cancer, is it wrong for me to be tired of fighting?
I understand that its really him fighting it and not me, but we have been doing this for 2 years now, dont get me wrong I DONT want him to give up, its just that this is all getting to me. Im so ...

How do you get bone cancer?

Question on smoking?
I smoke around 2 - 3 marlboro red ciggerates everyday. Obviously its going to effect my body, but how severely do you think it will effect me? Also I started about a year and a half ago.
A...

CAn another dr call another dr about a patient with out the patients premission
dont they need you to ...

Do you have a family membor or friend whos suffered from cancer?
both my mum and dad have passed away cos of cancer.

if cancer was standing in front of you right now. what would you do?

personally, i would kick the living **** out of it.

I've already asked this but I want as many answers as pos. What is worse epilepsy or cancer of the blood?

M D
Do you think that smoking causes lung cancer?

Varun G
There is nothing to think about.. YES IT CAUSES... and it cuases many other things..
Its not only hazardous to the one who smokes but also (rather much more) to the people around him/her.

S.A.M. Gunner 7212
Yes, allthough some people are more geneticly predisposed to get cancer than others.

Hari C
Yes, it really does. If not luncg cancer, chronic emphysema, bronchtis, tar build up... the list goes on.

Kendra♣
Rating
i don't think it "causes" lung cancer,
but it is a large contributior

lynda i
YES

rxer555
yes

AlphaFemale
Rating
No. It's all bull. I don't believe the cholesterol thing they are pushing now either. Remember when it was bad to drink coffee, eat eggs, dye your hair? Do you remember when ulcers weren't caused by an infection? Remember when Soy milk was supposed to be so good for you? All this stuff is crap. You can't believe anything anymore.

cute_valley_boys
No. It can cause, however it is not the initial factor.

Smoking can contribute to lung cancer. Some people can smoke their whole lives and not develop the cancer. Some who never smoke develop it. There are other environmental factors that accelerate the development of the cancer.

stanleys_2001
Rating
I don't think it does.

I know it does.

coolkittenwinx
Well it's not like you can't get lung cancer from smoking or secondhand smoking alone, it can actually be because of other causes, but yes I do believe smoking causes lung cancer.

Smoking increases your chances by a lot, and if you have a family history of cancer, I would stay away from it.

It all depends on who you are, some people might never get lung cancer.

It can also cause horrible things such as severe bronchitis or emphasyma which are really bad, and you might even have to use a puffer just to climb a set of stairs.

If you are a smoker, do the right thing.
Quit, for your life, for the lives around you.

sOuL dOcToR
Rating
Its a known fact that smoking can cause lung cancer !

Wilton P
This article would seem to indicate you can get lung cancer without smoking, so it appears smoking isn't necessarily the cause.

mcdane01
Rating
not 100% of the time ... but it's not going to help any

TweetyBird
Rating
The correlation has already been proven.

brandy
what doesn't give u cancer these days?

hpneil
Rating
Hello? Have you been on another planet? Lung cancer and emphysema are both caused by smoking or second hand smoke.

watermel0nbabii
Rating
um.. DUH

jmmgausa
its been proven

Strawberry
Tobacco smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer. Ninety percent of lung cancers can be prevented by completely giving up tobacco. Smoking marijuana cigarettes is considered yet another risk factor for cancer of the lung. These cigarettes have a higher tar content than tobacco cigarettes. In addition, they are inhaled very deeply; as a result, the smoke is held in the lungs for a longer period of time.

js8incher
hmmmmmm..............YES

Arshad Shahzad
yes it is
also proved by medical science

madbaldscotsman
Yes.

janisupton
in my opinion, it certainly is a contributor. As for the actual "cause", I guess.......

lindsays00
Rating
As a Radiology Tech I see the difference in smokers lungs and non smokers lungs every day. So yes I know that smoking is definitely a contributing factor in lung cancer. Although I have also seen patients that don't smoke but are then diagnosed with lung cancer. So you can not say that every person who smokes will get lung cancer but that you are at a higher level of risk by doing it.

❀Mother Of 2❀
Rating
YES..

shire_maid
It can, but it is not the only cause, nor is cancer the only illness that smoking is a major contributor of.

*PePpEr*
of course it does...I've known people who have passed b/c of it.

kayef57
Yes

larry g
A LONG TRAIL OF EVIDENCE LINKS CIGARETTE SMOKING TO LUNG CANCER

As someone who’s life has been touched by the tragic effects of cigarette smoking, I was saddened last week when the Supreme Court barred the FDA from regulating cigarettes. About 48 million adult Americans smoked cigarettes last year, according to the CDC. That’s one in four people, a fact that astonishes and alarms me. Why? Because this year an estimated 180,000 people will be diagnosed with lung cancer in the United States, and 90% of them will die within three years -- and 96% of these cancer victims are cigarette smokers.

Is there a cause-and-effect connection between smoking cigarettes and lung cancer? Two years ago, I wrote my first columns for the Post Dispatch, explaining the scientific evidence that cigarette smoking causes lung cancer, and that cigarette smoking is addictive. If these two points are indeed true, then cigarettes , so much a part of American life, are in fact an addictive deadly drug! In the hope of encouraging readers to urge congress to act, I am reprinting these columns. In today’s column we will follow the trail of evidence that proves clearly that smoking causes cancer. In next week’s column I will examine the evidence that smoking tobacco is addictive.

POINTING THE FINGER AT CIGARETTES

The long trail of evidence linking cigarettes to lung cancer has its beginnings right here in St. Louis, at Washington University’s School of Medicine. In 1948 a young first-year medical student, Ernst Wynder, witnessed an autopsy of a man who had died of lung cancer, and noted the lungs were blackened. Curious, he looked into the background of the patient. There was no obvious exposure to air pollution, but the man’s wife revealed he had smoked two packs of cigarettes a day for thirty years! Like a dog with a juicy bone, Wynder had found a puzzle that would occupy him much of his professional life, and despite much controversy, he never let go of it.

Over the next two years, Wynder doggedly reviewed records to see if there were other cases linking cigarettes and lung cancer. He found that many lung cancer patients were smokers. Interviewing lung cancer patients and "control" patients with other cancers, far more cancer occurred among the smokers. Early in 1950 he published his results in the Journal of the American Medical Association. Comparing 649 lung cancer patients with 600 controls, he found lung cancer an incredible 40 times higher among smokers, with the risk of cancer increasing with the number of cigarettes smoked.

Later that year, Richard Doll, a well known British scientist, reported an even more convincing finding linking smoking to lung cancer. Over a period of years, Doll had interviewed quite a large number of physicians, inquiring of each about their smoking habits -- then waited to see which ones developed lung cancer. Overwhelmingly, they were the smokers. Because it was not "after the fact", Doll’s test of the smoking causes cancer hypothesis was particularly rigorous and powerful. From that day forward, the scientific case linking smoking to lung cancer has been clear-cut.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.134
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, March 23, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy