Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

What can i do to console a person that suffer from leukemia?

My leukemia is back?
I'm 15 right now.
I had my bone marrow when I was 9 and I relapsed again a year ago, and I had my bone marrow in July last year, and I've taken blood tests regularly and I just found ...

I have fairly advanced stage 4 esophagus cancer metastezied into the liver. Can I eat ice cream?
I am on chemo for a year now. I understand that sugar feeds cancer cells. My blood sugar hovers around 100. Can I still eat ice cream in small amounts? The doctor says yes. They want to keep my ...

What can happen if epidural misses your spine?

What does it mean when the Dr says your bone marrow looks milky?

About dry month after radiation treatment, can anyone help me?

Severe depression?
this xmas was pretty bad...i think it will be the last time i see my family. i have been mentally abused and manipulated by them for 35 years...my husband stood up to them when they were treating me ...

Do i have mouth cancer?
the inner surfaces of my cheeks have these white stuff that feels like excess skin tissue (i'd chew them off but they'd grow back), and i occasionally have a blister under my tongue. One ...

Do you know any total cure of cancer?
I have heard about a place in Mexico, but I would like to know people with this experience if it exist. My father has just 2 months left, so any regular medical help it wont make him to survive....

What did you do to past time while on chemo?
My grandpa is on chemo right now and I want to get him something he can use for christmas. He doesn't really like to watch anything right now because it makes him dizzy so no t.v. or reading. W...

Does my mom have breast cancer?
she feels her breast has this solid thing in it. at first, it was only one breast, so she took a mammogram and it said she didn't have breast cancer. but now, her other breast has the solid ...

Looking for High Protien soft food recipes and ideas for mom with throat cancer during treatments?
Hi , my mom is under going daily radiation treatments, this is the 3rd week , her throat is dry and very sore and swollen from the side effects of her treatment, she needs High protien as suggested ...

Leukemia? Need answers?
Alright, I just recently got news that one of my friends, one of my friends, was diagnosed yesterday with leukemia. He was one of my most trusted friends, and I was surprised to hear that he had ...

How did u get over cancer if u ever had one?
I had last operation one year ago. Now I'm almost 16. at first it was scary and imposible to believe that my life was in dangerous. As about now I feel well and grateful I was ill bc it changed ...

Which type of people are most likely to get lung cancer?
like what age group, people who have smoked, done drugs? ...

Leukemia??
Can it be cured? I just found out my mom has it. I'm real scared for her.
Additional Details
She has Chronic Leukemia.

bad?...

Can prostatic cancer prisent as early as in early 20s ? please i want the answer from experient doctor?

Additional Details
note/ could it happen if PSA level is 1ng/...

I want to become a physician,or surgeon do u have any advice?

It has been suggested that bras contribute to breast cancer. Is this true?
I was told that during the hippie revolution where bra burning was the playstation of the day, that breast cancer for women was at an all time low. What have you heard....

Im scared to death?
ever since i was little i have white spots on my forehead and they itch sometimes i dont know what it is i think they are heat bumps but i dont know and now i took a look at it in my mirror and saw ...

sreedevi a
Can you give a brief explanation about thyroid gland? What is its function? defeciency of thyroid affect how?

kai
The thyroid gland is located in the front of the neck attached to the lower part of the voicebox (or larynx) and to the upper part of the windpipe (or trachea). It has two sides or lobes. These lobes are connected by a narrow neck (or isthmus). Each lobe is about 4 cm long and 1 to 2 cm wide. The name "thyroid" comes from the Greek word which means "shield".

Thyroid Hormones-
The thyroid gland produces thyroid hormones. These are peptides containing iodine. The two most important hormones are tetraiodothyronine (thyroxine or T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). These hormones are essential for life and have many effects on body metabolism, growth, and development.

Iodine-
Iodine plays an important role in the function of the thyroid gland. It is the chief component of thyroid hormones, and is essential for their production. Iodine is obtained from the water we drink and the food we eat. In areas of the world where there is an iodine deficiency, iodine must be added to the salt or bread. The Great Lakes area of Canada and the U.S., the Swiss Alps and Tasmania are such areas. In Canada and the U.S., most of the salt is iodized, thus the iodine intake is more than adequate. Taking excess amounts of iodine in foods such as kelp will aggravate autoimmune thyroid disease.

Goitre-
Enlargement of the thyroid gland is called goitre. Goitre does not always indicate a disease, since thyroid enlargement can also be caused by physiological conditions such as puberty and pregnancy
Hypothalamic - Pituitary - Thyroid Axis
The thyroid gland is influenced by hormones produced by two other organs:
The pituitary gland, located at the base of the brain, produces thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)
The hypothalamus, a small part of the brain above the pituitary, produces thyrotropin releasing hormone (TRH).

Low levels of thyroid hormones in the blood are detected by the hypothalamus and the pituitary. TRH is released, stimulating the pituitary to release TSH. Increased levels of TSH, in turn, stimulate the thyroid to produce more thyroid hormone, thereby returning the level of thyroid hormone in the blood back to normal.
The three glands and the hormones they produce make up the "Hypothalamic - Pituitary - Thyroid axis."

The way a goitre forms in those geographic areas of the world which have a deficiency of iodine is a good example of how the axis functions. Normally, TSH increases the uptake of iodine by the thyroid gland and increases production of thyroid hormone. If there is little iodine available in our diet, insufficient thyroid hormone is produced by the thyroid; hypothalamic TRH causes TSH to be released from the pituitary in large amounts. The pituitary also resonds directly to the lack of thyroid hormone in the blood and TSH is increased. This enables the thyroid to capture most of the iodine presented to it from food and water. But, TSH has a second action - it causes growth of thyroid cells.

The gland grows and becomes very large under the influence of this high level of TSH secretion. Therefore, most people who live in iodine deficient areas have goitre, thus allowing them to produce enough thyroid hormone for normal body function. Once thyroid hormone levels are restored, TSH secretion stabilizes at a high level.

In healthy individuals and in those with goitre, the hypothalamic - pituitary - thyroid axis maintains thyroid hormone production at a finely controlled level and enables the thyroid to respond to situations requiring more or less thyroid hormone production.

Thyroid Disorders-
The main causes of thyroid disease are:
too much thyroid hormone production or hyperthyroidism.
too little thyroid hormone production or hypothyroidism.
The state of normal thyroid function is called euthyroidism.
Abnormalities of the thyroid gland are common and affect one in twenty (1 in 20) of the Canadian population. All thyroid disorders are much more common in women than in men. Because of the widespread use of iodized salt and bread, lack of iodine is no longer a cause of thyroid disease in Canada as it was some 50 years ago.

"Autoimmune disorders" of the thyroid gland are common. These autoimmune disorders are caused by abnormal proteins, (called antibodies), and the white blood cells which act together to stimulate or damage the thyroid gland. Graves' disease (hyperthyroidism) and Hashimoto's thyroiditis, are diseases of this type. Graves' disease affects about 1 in 100 of the population, whereas hashimoto's thyroiditis is even more common.

Other less common causes of thyroid disease include nodule, thyroid cancer, subacute thyroiditis and primary hypothyroidism.Nodules, mostly benign are very common.

Graves' Disease-
Graves' disease (thyrotoxicosis) is due to a unique antibody called "thyroid stimulating antibody" which stimulates the thyroid cells to grow larger and to produce excessive amounts of thyroid hormones. In this disease, the goitre is due not to TSH but to this unique antibody.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis-
In Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the goitre is caused by an accumulation of white blood cells and fluid (inflammation) in the thyroid gland. This leads to destruction of the thyroid cells and, eventually, thyroid failure (hypothyroidism). As the gland is destroyed, thyroid hormone production decreases; as a result, TSH increases, making the goitre even larger.

Thyroid Nodules-
Sometimes, thyroid enlargement is restricted to one part of the gland; the rest of the gland being normal. The most common cause of this is a cyst or nodule, which may be benign or malignant. Occasionally there are many nodules. This so called "multinodular goitre" is probably caused by mutations of follicular cells.

Don D
This gland secrets thyroxin that the body uses to balance your metabolisim. To little is hypothyroidism, too much is hypperthyroidism. either way could be life threating, only a doctor can test for the proper dosage. Please see a doctor asap

scj1719
Thyroids realease hormones your body needs to regulate alot of things. Low thyroid (hypothyroidism) Symptoms
Coarse and thinning hair.
Brittle nails.
Dry skin.
A yellowish tint to the skin.
Slow body movements and speech.
Inability to tolerate cold.
Feeling tired, sluggish, or weak.
Memory problems, depression, or difficulty concentrating.
Constipation.
Heavy or irregular menstrual periods that may last longer than 5 to 7 days.

High thyroid (hyperthyroidism) symptoms
You may feel nervous, moody, weak, or tired.
Your hands may shake, your heart may beat fast, or you may have problems breathing.
You may be sweaty or have warm, red, itchy skin.
You may have more bowel movements than usual.
You may have fine, soft hair that is falling out.
You may lose weight even though you eat the same or more than usual
Tests to check your thyroid: Blood Tests TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) T3 T4 and T7. If your blood work suggests a deficency in your thyroid an ultrasound or CAT scan may be suggested.
Hope this helps!

j.quinnell27
Rating
Our thyroid gland, give to our body the tyroxine hormone, this is a substance for to have a quick metabolism.
Then if the thyroid gland has malfunction, our metabolism is slow, we want to sleep, the memory is not good, mathematics calculus is very difficult.
But the good news, its, this deficiency, cure with 100 miligrams for one day of levo thiroxine, a sintetic hormone sustitute.

heavy_cow
Rating
The thyroid gland is a is a system in our body that excretes horemoans, if your thyroid is not secreting enough horemoans it could result in shortened height or a number of other things.

shuvadip d
the system comunicator....is called thyroid gland...so far my knowledge

makimesser
Rating
The thyroid gland secretes a hormone (thyroxine) which controls how fast your metabolism runs. If you have a deficiency of thyroid hormone (hypothyroidism) your metabolism runs slower than usual. This causes, among other things, being colder than others, weight gain, loss of energy, loss of menses (in women), infertility (in women), and dementia in severe cases. The condition is easily treated with thyroid supplements. If you are worried, your physician can test for this condition.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, March 30, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy