Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

Signs of breast cancer?

Lymph Nodes- I need your opinions?
I've had two swollen lymph nodes on my neck for about a year now and I went to my doctor who told me to see an ENT. I went to the first ENT and they said it was an artery, so I went back to my ...

Swollen lymph nodes in neck, underarm & groin?
Had the lumps in my neck about 9months go. Other lump under my pits and groin. Dont feel bad, just tired, and I have night sweat. I have lost about 20 lbs. No fever or illness. They dont hurt, just ...

Who is responsible for looking after a cancer patient, girlfriend or parents?

How are you finding your chemotherapy? Would you do it again if needed?

What is the youngest age that a person can get Breast Cancer?

Are these signs of a brain tumor?
Lately I've been experiencing little pains on the top left side of my head, but only in small areas. My eyelids feel like they're being pressured to go down and my eyeball is feels sort of ...

How do you know if your child has leukemia?
her symptoms are (for the past year), temp between 99-100 every couple days, severe abdominal pain, belly feels hard, weight loss of five pounds in the last couple of months, severe leg pain at night,...

. If there is a cure for Cancer would Radiation therapist/ Dosimetrist jobs be obsolete?
I am interested in becoming a Medical Dosimetrist....

Do you know anyone who has survived a ruptured aneurysm?
A long time family friend is in the hospital for this. They gave her a 50/50 chance for survival. I would really like to hear survival stories. I feel so lost. I just need to hear that people have ...

My boyfriend has just started chemo....?
we are in a long distance relationship and as soon as I found out he had cancer, I bought a ticket to go see him. The thing is, that he doesnt want me to be there now tha he is starting the treatment ...

If your on the computer a lot, will you get cancer or have a tumor?
My mom said if stay on the computer to long i will get cancer or a tumor in my head?...

How seriou is a mass in a ovarie?
My husbands 14 year old great granddaughter has a mass in her right ovarie and in to see a peditric oncologist....

Waiting to be Diagnosed and start getting some medicine?
July/4 I noteced bump under my armpit. Could not wait the morning to see my doctor. After blood test, come back negative. WBC normal,plattlets normal. But Ultrasound were corncerned some kind of ...

Hpv and cervical cancer?
my mom was recently diagnosed with hpv; doctor said at her age with hpv, there is a higher likelihood of cervical cancer. does hpv usually lead to cervical cancer? i heard a very small percentage of ...

Cancer, does anyone recall a drug called Layatrill?
Back in the 70's my mother had cancer. She went to Mexico and used a drug called Layatrill, At least I believe that is the spelling, Anyway I remember she got in alot of trouble for bringing it ...

Breast cancer?
does breast cancer hurt? i mean is the breast supposed to hurt so much? is one of the symptoms a change of color like a black spot on both under the nipples (which hurt.) has anybody here have breast ...

Teen with cancer?
did you hear about the 16 year old with cancer? it was considered very treatable in the early stages, but after the first round of chemo the teen opted for an alternative therapy which includes ...

Can you PLEASE....?
please please please pray for my sister. i know none of you people know her but i really need alot of people to pray for her. her name is Bailey and she is 11 years old. she has cancer and right now ...

Could it be breast cancer?
I have a small bump on my right breast under the outer layer of the nipple. Its about the size and shape of a bean. Could it be breast cancer. Maybe a swollen lymph node? are there lymph nodes near ...

helen c
Can someone tell me the symptoms of pancreatic cancer?

starrwoode
Rating
extreme back pain sugar surges and crashes, see a doctor, not us

Mt ~^^~~^^~
Rating
Just go to the doctor, it's nothing to wait around for.

grizzler69
I think several people have shown the perils of merely googling an answer.

Classical presention of a pancreatic cancer will usually be a loss of appetite (sometimes nausea, rarely vominting, unless there is gastric outflow obstruction from a Ca in the HoP (head of pancreas) or ampullary tumour impinging on gastric outflow.

Often, in around 60% of pancreatic tumours, jaundice is a key factor that results in admission to hospital. Liver function tests will be give a clearly obstructive picture. Attributed to jaundice are the traditional yellowing of the skin and sclera, although in advanced jaundice this can progress through to green, with aple stools, dark urine and generalised pruritus (itching).

Abdominal pain is common, but so is painless obstructive jaudice. If abdominal pain is present it is usually radiating through to the back.

General cancerous symtpoms such as weight loss, fatigue, general malaise are often present.

Of the 137 pancreatic cancers seen by our team in 2006, 80% were emergency admissions or A+E attendances, 11% were GP referral, either 2ww or other, and the other 9% included consultant referral and incidentaloma's as we call them. (incidental findings) This tells you symptoms don't present early.

USS will often show dilated ducts, sometimes a vague area in the HoP, shown as low attentuation on CT. EUS, whilst sometimes helpful for histological purposes (if brushings or bipsy at ERCP or PTC were unsuccessful) is more commonly used to see if the tumour is free of the local vessels and ammenable to surgical resection. It prevented 13 operations this year which were deemed radiologically operable on CT, but not by EUS.

gangadharan_nair
Pancreatic cancer, primarily ductal adenocarcinoma, accounts for about 30,500 cases and 29,700 deaths in the US annually. Symptoms include weight loss, abdominal pain, and jaundice. Diagnosis is by CT. Treatment is surgical resection and adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Prognosis is poor because disease is often advanced at the time of diagnosis.
Other symptoms include:
* Loss of appetite
* Nausea and vomiting
* Weakness
* Fatigue
* Diarrhea
* Indigestion
* Back pain
* Clay-colored stools
* Paleness
* Depression
Please see the web pages for more details on Pancreatic carcinoma.

Jewel
Rating
Pancreatic cancer symptoms
This page has information on the symptoms of pancreatic cancer. You can scroll down the page to read it all, or click on the links below to go straight to information on

Early symptoms of the commonest type of pancreatic caner
Other symptoms of the commonest type of pancreatic cancer
Symptoms from rare endocrine pancreatic tumours
Early symptoms
The commonest type of cancer of the pancreas are exocrine tumours. The symptoms can be quite vague. And they vary depending on where the cancer is in your pancreas - in the head, body or tail. Early symptoms can include

Weight loss
Loss of appetite
General discomfort or pain around the stomach area
Back pain
Jaundice
About 5 out of 10 people have jaundice when they first go to their doctors.

Weight loss
You may have recently lost a lot of weight for no apparent reason. At least 10% of your total body weight. This symptom is more common in cancers of the head of the pancreas.

Pain
About 7 out of 10 people with pancreatic cancer first go to their doctors because they have pain. Pain is more common in cancers of the body and tail of the pancreas. People describe it as a dull pain that feels as if it is boring into you. It can begin in the stomach area and spread around to the back. The pain is worse when you lie down and is better if you sit forward. It can be worse after meals. Your abdomen may also be generally tender or painful if your liver, pancreas or gall bladder are inflamed or enlarged.

Jaundice
About 5 out of 10 people have jaundice when they first go to their doctors. Jaundice is yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes. The urine is darker than normal and bowel motions may be lighter in colour. Jaundice is more common with cancer of the head of the pancreas because the tumour blocks the bile duct. This tube carries bile into the duodenum. If it is blocked the bile ends up in your bloodstream instead. Bile contains a lot of yellow pigments so it turns the skin yellow. Jaundice is a common symptom of many liver and gall bladder diseases. It is often easier to spot in the whites of the eyes rather than the skin.

Jaundice without pain is the commonest reason for first going to the doctor in patients who have pancreatic cancer that can be removed with surgery (is 'operable').

Other symptoms
There are other symptoms that you can have with cancer of the pancreas. You may have any of these symptoms from before you are diagnosed. Or you may develop them later. Of course, you may not have all of them. Not everyone has every symptom. But these non specific symptoms are common in pancreatic cancer. You may have

Diabetes
Itching
Sickness
Change in bowel movements
Fever and shivering

pampurredpuss
Rating
Early diagnosis of pancreatic cancer is difficult because the symptoms are so non-specific and varied. Common pancreatic cancer symptoms include abdominal pain, loss of appetite, significant weight loss and painless jaundice. Jaundice occurs when the pancreatic cancer grows and pressure obstructs the common bile duct, which partially runs through the head of the pancreas. Pancreatic cancer tumours of the head of the pancreas (approximately 60% of cases) will more easily give rise to such symptoms.

Courvoisier's law defines the presence of jaundice and a painlessly distended gallbladder as strongly indicative of pancreatic cancer, and may be used to distinguish pancreatic cancer from gallstones.

Pancreatic cancer is usually discovered during the course of the evaluation of aforementioned symptoms. In pancreatic cancer, liver function tests may show a combination of results indicative of bile duct obstruction (raised bilirubin, ?-glutamyl transpeptidase and alkaline phosphatase levels). Imaging studies, such as ultrasound or abdominal CT may be used to identify pancreatic cancer tumors. Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) is another procedure that can help visualize the pancreatic cancer tumor and obtain tissue to establish the diagnosis.

Ronald S
Yes, and that someone is your doctor. It would seem likely, since you are asking the question, that you have concerns about some of your symptoms. You will notice that many of the responses to questions about cancer are very technical and almost certainly pasted from medical web sites. However, that is only helpful if you know for certain that this is what you are suffering from. In that case, you could have Googled the same answers for yourself. The whole gastroenterology system is complex and can throw up "red herrings". So, for your own peace of mind, make an appointment with your GP and if it is necessary, be referred to an expert.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, March 30, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy