Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

Breast stitch won't heal. what to do?
lumpectomy done 1 1/2 mos. ago. baby 3 mos. ago. middle of my incision won't heal. A circular hole is left in the middle of it the size of a toothpick. stitches replaced 4 times already.Breast ...

Survery- have you ever had cancer?
if so what kind of cancer?
and if you haven't name someone that is close to you and what kind of cancer they had. (ex. grandma, dad, best friend, sister...)
Additional Details

Just quit smoking.....any good advice?

How to make the world alcohol free & tobacco free?

Would you want to know if you were dying?

Not sure if its skin cancer - what should i do?
Hi about 2 weeks ago i got a red lump on my hand only small, it started to grow still only small. Hubby says it looks like a wart but im not so sure. Its round but looks like its spreading slightly ...

My mother had colon cancer. What are the chances it will be passed on to me or my sibling?
My mother had colon cancer, and survived it for 5 years before passing on. She was adopted, so I know nothing about her parents and so forth.

I was wondering what the chances were of me or ...

Asthma is cured by Homoeopathy? Is it true?

Do you feel scared out of cancer?
the reason i am asking is that i have a family with wide history of cancer i am not afraid of it but some people think i am ignoring it or being too neglictic
what do you think about ...

Does anyone know any DIETARY factors that might lower my risk of developing cancer?

When someone is diagnosed with cancer how do you console them when they want the world to leave them alone?
my husband has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He is trying to shut me out. How do i get in there and hold him togeather? What can i do to hold him togeather during his hour of need? What kind ...

If people know smoking is bad for you, why do they smoke? cancer, chemo, emphasizma, laryngectomy, $$$, etc.?
tobacco kills over 20 times more people than ...

What should i do i have cancer and 3 months to live?
im 17 and have about 1000$ in the bank. im in gr 12 so i wont be able to go to prom or anything because ill be dead. what should i do with these last months? should i drop out of school?
A...

How long after chemotherapy does hair loss occur?
My mom has ovarian cancer and got her first dose of chemo last Friday and we're wondering how long it will be before her hair starts falling out....

It causes cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!?
i heard mechanical energy and nuclear energy cause cancer. is it true?...

What is the precaution should be taken to prevent all type of Cancer?

Care package for family with son with cancer?
A local family who we are close friends with has just has two family members diagnosed with cancer and leukemia. I know they will be spending lots of time at the hospital, and would like to make a ...

Is that truth that america has discovered the medicine for AIDS?

Today, are there more people get cancers, why?

Could I have leukemia?
I have been feeling "off" for the last few weeks, just not right. I've been having problems with fatigue (I have very little energy most of the time). I've also had sleep problems ...

tmskodacek
Can my children be around my father if he is receiving Chemo treatments after they get routine immunizations?
He has bile duct cancer and receives treaments every week. He has 3, then a week off and then 3 more. My daughter is receiving 6 and 8 month shots.
Additional Details
I am fully aware that my children are safe around my father. I am sorry to confuse anyone. My question is there any harm to my father (who is receiving Chemo) if my children just received their regular scheduled immunizations (they are not sick)!

GinaD
chemo therapy is your body's way of flushing all toxins out of your body. the object of chemo is to get as much of the cancer out even if you are getting the good stuff out too. therefore there is no real physical illness that your husband can pass on to your kids. i was around my mom the entire time she was having chemo and i never got sick. it all has to do with flushing out their body, its not an actual illness that is contagious.

CrG
Rating
Cancer is not contagious. Your children can certainly be around your dad with or without immunizations.

dollbaby2407
Yes your kids can be around him. I have known plenty of people with cancer and going thou chemo and kids have been around them. You can;t get cancer from them or get sick from them just because they are on chemo. Ask your Dr he will tell you the same .. Sorry to hear about your father having cancer. My brother inlaw has it in his leg and lungs stage 4 .. He only has 6 months to a year...:(

spaceraider420
Rating
yes... the radiation they use is localized and unless he gets a peice of plutonium lodged in him somewhere he is no danger to anyone

nurseb1981
I've been through chemo and what i have been told is this: People undergoing chemotherapy need to be careful when being around people who are sick. Sometimes, chemo can cause low white cell counts and this means the patient will be at risk for acquiring infections that could be serious (i.e catching the flu from someone can more easily turn into pneumonia for someone who's immune system is impaired). So, if your kids are healthy, there should be no problem. Find out if your fathers white blood cells are not too low (if they are then he should keep visitors to a minimum to prevent infection). There is really nothing your father can transmit to them (except obviously if he has a cold or something else contagious).

curiousgeorge
Great question. I wish I could help more other than advise to call the oncologist's office & ask. There really is no better place to get the right answer.

honey
i am not sure about chemo therapy but i know you are supposed to stay away from someone with radiation therapy for a few days.

inverse_mushroom_cloud
As a chemo patient, I was told to avoid kids. There's too great a risk that children are incubating, or have been exposed to other kids who have something contagious.

You could get some disposable masks and make a sort of game of it. But really, I wouldn't risk your dad's health.

Any infection to a chemo patient can be life threatening. That's what the hospital told me.

Pam H
Rating
As long as they don't have a cold or any sign of illness they can be around him. The threat would be more for him than them. Chemo will compromise his immune system and any illness could become serious (deadly).

midnightmoon62
Rating
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the blood count is low, he cant be around the children for 2 WEEKS after shots!!!!!!!!!

His immune system is very weak, and he CAN get sick from being around the children after shots. PLEASE, talk to the doc before you let him around the children!!!!!!

sassydontpm
Rating
The only danger to your father would be if the child is immunized with a live virus (chicken pox or MMR). Talk to the childrens' doctor before any immunizations are given. Perhaps if it's one that is transmittable then it could wait until your father's immune system is back to normal.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, August 1, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy