Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

Is there a cure for cancer......................

I've been reading that antiperspirant may lead to breast cancer! Is this true? If yes, is it rare?
Really now... sweating isnt a good thing! I need antiperspirants!...

Do you REALLY think theres a cure for cancer?

Why are people who died of cancer buried faster than others?
My family member was buried 2 days after she ...

My mom just passed away 2 weeks ago from Cervical Cancer?
She was diagnosed last December, and was only 54 years old. I was very close to her and was with her until the very end when she took her last breath. I feel like someone just ripped my heart out. I ...

What is mouth cancer?
I have had a hole but like a cut on the side of my cheek for the last month. it dosent hurt i dont know what it is i thought it would heal up by know....

Help with my brother?
my brother is 16 and still poos and wees him self what should my family do
Additional Details
should we get him ...

Which cancer disease is most deadly?

I'm so scared?
My Grandma was recently diagnosed with cancer in her oesophagus (the 'tube' from your throat to your stomach etc.) the thing is, she's not going to recover from it. She's 85 and ...

A friend of mine is going through chemo but............?
She was rushed to hospital over the weekend with a kidney infection. The docs say she is responding to treatment but this will delay her chemo treatment and will be few days before we know weather ...

What is surrvical cancer?
my friend emailed me saying she got a "surrvical" cancer shot. she spelled it like that, too. do you think she meant "cervical" cancer? if not, what the heck is surrvical cancer??...

I've gotta sore throat.. should i be worried abt cancer?
it only hurts on the left side of my throat, & when i swallow, even saliva. should i see my doctor?...

What is lymphocytes?

Medical question. I have been dizzy, weak, and feel like I'm going to faint.?
I was diagnosed with cervical cancer two weeks ago, and have a biopsy scheduled in 3 days. Tonight I have been feeling very weak, faint, and light headed. Also, I've been shaking in my hands ...

Who hates cancer?
the disease not ...

Green/milky discharge from left breast--what could be causing it? Please only serious answers..?
About 7 yrs ago, I went for a mammogram due to a lumpy area in my left breast(upper-outer region).I was told it was "nothing to worry about." Well, the lumpiness never went away and about 2-...

Breast Cancer Worries?
Since October is Breast Cancer awareness month, I decided to ask my mom this year if anyone in our family ever died of breast cancer...she told me my great aunt and my grandmother both did but in ...

Is it high time that so many useless lives should be put to use.?
after all, a human life is not so cheep so as to be depleted 4 the price of a packet of deadly nenom....

My Breast Cancer has spread.......?
It has spread to my liver and there are cells on my cervix. I am having trouble finding information on the web about Secondary breast Cancer to the cervix. Any help on where I can find information ...

If I have a minor cold, could I be around someone undergoing cancer treatment?
A friend of mine is going through cancer treatment and is having a large number of people over (at a restaurant) for lunch.

I have a minor cold (mostly sniffles), could I go without ...

rosemarie p
Can chemotherapy patients have contact with children?

Happy Cooker
Rating
Why not? It isn't "catching".

sunshine
its perfectly alright as long as the children are well, if they have and type of infectious diseases. Because a cancer patient has a low immune system a few days after the chemo. Usually 1 week or 2 weeks after treatment it is OK. But chemo patients have to be careful.

eendje1990
Rating
yes, in most cases they can. Cancer is not contagious, the only worry would be if the patient has a weakened immune system and the children are sick.

Hope this helps.

casual_rider
Rating
the chemo pt should be very careful about toxic body fluids..
no one should come in contact with the pt's sweat, saliva, urine etc.

Simmi
Rating
The issue is not the child getting cancer but if the patient could be susceptible to a contagious illness of the child. So, check with the patient about how he/she feels about it.

greydoc6
Rating
Generally, yes.

There is one important exception. If a patient is given a radioactive medication, such as I-131 for thyroid cancer, he or she is not to be near children for several days.

Shell
You can be around children, unless your doc specifically tells you not to. Main concern is germs if your levels are low you could get sick. my son has to avoid everyone except people in the house when his levels are low.

Gordon C
Rating
Usually yes
My wife had extensive chemo for breast cancer last year and got through more or less normal life looking after our gaggle of kids at home.

You need to remember that for most of the time your immune system is normal when you are on chemo - although it depends on the type of chemo and your doctor or chemo nurse will tell you when your blood counts are likely to be at their lowest. In most cases the lowest time is from ten days after the chemo and for about a week thereafter.

During this "low time" or "nadir period" you should try to stay away from anyone with colds or viral infection. The main concern is things like chickenpox.

At all other times contact with children should be absolutely fine. Hope this helps

My wife blogged about her breast cancer treatment experiences and you can read about it here : http://www.twinkletwinkles.com

Good luck

Gordon

midnightmoon62
Generally yes. However, if the child is sick at all, or is young enough to still be getting vaccinations, then they should not be around chemo patients. This is for the safety of the patient, not the child. The chemo severly depresses the immune system, making it very easy to catch germs and bacteria or fungi or viruses. For a healthy person it is no big deal and the body fights it off. For a chemo patient it can be fatal.

Jayaraman
Rating
Yes Cancer patients can have contact with Children.

Firstly Cancer itself is not at all contagious disease. This disease will not affect or spread to others at all. Secondly chemotherapy is a type of treatment to contain cancer and chemotherapy itself is not a disease. So there is not fear of children getting into any disease on account of this.

But the most important thing is that the patients should not be exposed to outside dangers which will lead to infection. As infection is the important factor for chemo patients in the interest of the patients it is better the chidren do not go near the patient. -

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2013 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, April 19, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy