Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Allergies
Health Discussion Forum

Friend is allergic to cats, I have 4 and she's coming to my party... HELP!?
I'm having a christmas party tommorow, and one of my friends from college who i haven't seen in a while informed my that she is highly allergic to cats. I have four cats. It's kind of ...

Do you have to pay rent?
Kind of a silly question but if your property manager refuses to fix your apartment do you really have to pay rent especially when it is causeing health problems with yourself and your children? We ...

I've always heard that carrots were good for the eyes. Do you know of other things, or is it mainly vitamin A?

Additional Details
Someone said they keep the eyes healthy, but don't improve eyesight. Do you know if anything does besides glasses?...

My mom seems to be the only one slightly allergic to our cat, does vaccuming help?
Does vaccuming the house every other day help relieve the symptoms? My mom isn't like crazily allergic, she just has slightly watery eyes sometimes and sneezes a few. I know the best way would ...

What's the best remedy for eczema?

How to unclog a stuffed nose?
is there anyway to unclog a stuffed nose full of mucus and boogies without drinking or taking medicine??? I know its gross but i need advice....

Can anyone tell me the reason I've broken out in hives?
For the last 3 days ive broken out in hives,my mum tells me im allergic to some thing ive ate,is this true & is there any thing i can put on them to stop the itching...............

Why don't our eyes stay open when we sneeze?

Can't sleep......had warm milk, surfed the net, ate a banana....?
apart from turning off this computer, any ideas to cure insomnia?!
Additional Details
radiohead album! lol :-)...

When my eyes are itchy and i rub them, why do little black and white dots start swirling in front of me?
it wierd. they're like the size of knats and they stay there for like 30 seconds. got any ideas?...

My 18 mth old has severe excema. An allergy test showed allergies to wheat, soy, eggs and peanut. Any advice?
We have taken him off wheat for 4 days now, but excema isn't getting any better. The test did not show any allergies to dairy- but when I give him dairy - his excema flares. Just curious if ...

Are there any GREAT over the counter allergy medicines?
Advil Allergy and Sinus worked a little while for me, but now my allergies are terrible! The other day I was rubbing my eyes and having sneezing fits, and when I came inside from gym my eyes were ...

Can i give human medicines to an ailing cat or dog? if so what should be the dosage?

Whats the weirdest thing you're allergic to?
mine would probably be ...

I have been suffering from nosebleeds for a long time the severity differs what does this mean??
i am a teenager who is an athlete and does a lot of sports and activities the nosebleeds always happen during may-june-and july- never any other ...

Are there any dogs or cats I can have even though I am allergic to all fur animals?

Do you think the sun makes you sneeze?

How do you cope with hayfever?

Is it possible to be allergic to water?

What is hydroquarterzone?
Recently I was taken ino hospital to be treated for an allergy reaction. The doctors there gave my hydroquarterzone injection. I have no idea what it is, so could anyone tell me what it is?...

DM
My girlfriend is allergic to cats and my roommate has a cat. what can I do to lessen the affect on my girlfri

Sonny
Rating
cat tastes like chicken. Invite her over for dinner

robert r
Rating
meet outside your house, or go to her house....

m4urk
Rating
Change her.

girl522
If she stays at your place have her take a benadryl. It will stop the allergic reaction but may make her a little sleepy.

staygold
stay over her place instead.

Alok S
Rating
Unfortunately cat allergens, from cat urine and cat saliva, have been present even after 25 years.
Found on an island, where ther was no cat for over 25 years ( a fact in the medical literature.
The only real solution is to get rid of the cat.
A 3rd generation anti histamine should help.
For nasal symptoms a topical nasal steroid may be effective.
Get rid of cat, roommate or gf

jonathan
Rating
wear a face mask but best is to avoid the place totally as the cat hair is all over the place

petlover
You have to enlist the help of your roommate. If a cat is bathed every week (water will do) then after about 8 weeks the amount of allergen on the cat will be reduced to a level that most people with cat allergies can tolerate. (This was the result of a study performed at the University of Washington). Bathing the cat 2 times a week will lower the allergen sooner. Giving a cat a bath can be a bit tricky though. You also need to remove as much of the cat allergen in the apartment/home as much as possible - that means vacuuming; mopping even washing walls. You can also purchase a HEPA filter that helps to remove allergens in the air. Some people can adapt and develop a tolerance to cats, but it is a slow process - and if she gets extremely ill around the cat she might have no choice but to avoid the cat. Some people are soo sensitive that even being around someone that has a cat can trigger an allergic response. So don't let the cat sleep in the laundry basket on your clothes!

?
I second Jet's emotion...

Melissa
There's actually some shampoo that you can buy to wash the cat with that's supposed to reduce whatever it is that makes people react to cats.

I've seen it at Petco... and I don't know how well it works, but I haven't heard of anything else to lessen the reaction, except having her take some allergy pills before she comes over.

♥ Stacy ♥
Have her take Benadryl allergy medicine before she comes over to your house. I am also allergic to cats and take it before I go somewhere that has them.

lookinMNfeelinCA
have her take benadryl before she comes over.

Sugar_Mama
Buy her a cat, eventually her body will build up an immunity. Or, they make allergy pills for that. I used to take them as a kid when I would sleep over my best friends house.

Jet
Kill the cat

martinpeters
Rating
Nothing. I have tried allergy shots. 4 years worth. They don't work. Washing the cat often doesn't work, because the allergen is in the cats saliva. Vacuuming doesn't work. Don't invite her over, and keep the cat off all your stuff.

Disney Fan
Rating
If she's on allergy medicine, make sure she takes it before going arount the cat, if she's not currently on any allergy medicine, invest in over the counter claritin. You can buy at Walmart or even Costco or BJ's brands too.

Stacie♫ fan
haha, i like the one about killing the cat. That's a pretty good one. But just put the cat outside or just go somewhere else instead. If she wants to see your place then have the roomate take the cat to the kitty store or something.

rules27
Rating
Get rid of one of them

I Know Nuttin
Rating
She can get over a cat allergy. You just have to suffer through it for a month or two. That worked for me when my gf had a cat. My eye used to puff up like a tennis ball around cats but now they barely bother me at all.

ystubbington
Vacuum the carpet a lot before she comes round and dust etc to get rid of as much cat hair as possible. Also keep the cat out of her way as much as you can.

If she has any anti allergy pills like Benedryl get her to take some before she visits.

If she is very allergic you'll probably have to go visit her instead.

NIKK F
vacum often, and wash the cat often. The dander is what causes the problem

William E
But a plastic bag over her head! Just Kidding.

Not much, its the cat's saliva she's allergic to--the cat cleans its fur with its spittle which has enzymes in it that cause an allergic reaction. The cat's "dander" falls everywhere carrying those allergy causing particles.

You can vacuum very well, put the cat somewhere else when she visits, but the likelihood there is nothing you can do to change the environment for her.

She can try getting de-sensitized to cat dander by visiting a doctor--thats a process where she is exposed to small amounts of cat dander over time, causing her to build up a resistence to its effect on her immune system...it takes time, and may not work.

Otherwise I suggest that you move, get a new roomate or visit your girlfriend at her house, after you launder your clothes so that they do not bring her any allergens when you visit....

And I don't agree with bathing the cat advocates here either...cats do not need to be bathed, they naturally keep themselves clean. The problem is the girlfriend's not the cat's!

Moira
Rating
keep everything very clean and when she comes over keep the cat in a closet or another room.

Juggernaut
First ask you pharmacist, for over the counter help or
try taking an antihistamine, this will help lesson the effects

Dude
Try Claritin?

NAQ
get an air purifier. and bathe the cat once a week with anti allergen shampoo. this helps reduce airborn allergins.

guehnwyvare_of_atlantica
Rating
Have her get an allergy shot. It'll cover all of her allergies for awhile.

sunshine86
Keep it totally out of your room and clean your bedding and draperies well. It is the dander that bothers us who have allergies so maybe a bath every week to keep it down.

SAPPHiRE
Rating
nothing really. get rid of the cat is the only solution...sorry.

BabeHeart
Keep the cat out of your room...keep the 'house' vaccumed, and keep a supply of benadryl (or whatever antihistamine she can take) on hand.

I'm VERY allergic to cats and my best friend just acquired one. My time in her house now is limited, unless I double-dose on benadryl because the cat goes in every room, and the house is full of fabric (drapes, furniture, carpet). A-choo!

Good luck to your girlfriend...perhaps y'all can spend more time at her place?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2013 HealthExpertAdvice Thursday, April 24, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy