Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Allergies
Health Discussion Forum

What is the treatment for common cold ?
mention drugs available also......

If I spray WD-40 up my nose, would that clear up my cold?

How do I stop a nose bleed?
When I was younger I used to get it everyday, but recently i've been getting it again. How can I stop it?...

I keep getting sinuitis- any ideas as to a cure?

How would you feel if you went to bed and woke up all bit up with bed bug bites?

Why does your nose get blocked up when you've got a cold?

I have strept throat, and Im allergic to penicillin, can take amoxicillin or keflex instead?
i dont have a way to go to the doctor because i have no money and no car, but i have these 2 med's here at the house, i know that they arent supposed to work if they sit there for so long, but ...

10 PTS QUICK!!!Can you help!?
My dad has an allergic reaction. His lip and cheeck is very swollen. His eyes are also kind red.... What should I do??
Additional Details

Sinus congestion?
Does sinus congestion in ears and head cause you eyes to be senstivie and blurry? I also been dizzy ...

What's the best hay fever cure?
I have been trying local honey this year instead of those horrible tablets that make me feel rotten. what have you tried?
What works?...

I suffer from asthma can freesias affect it when i have some in house i cant breath?

I suffer frm sinus but can't find wot I am allergic to? When I get up at 7:30am,y do I get stuffd nose 4 1hr?
It happens to me every morning now. I get that cold/ flu feeling after I get up and stuffy nose along with a few sneezes later. I then have to take some anti hayfever medicine like tesco's one a ...

Spring time allergies are hitting me harder then normal already. Any suggestions?
After a walk through the park this morning, I know it's going to be a rough couple of months. I plan on buying antihistamines later today but what else can you suggest to combat spring ...

Is there anything strong than claritan-D for allergies?
My husband has allergies and claritan doesn't always help. Can the doctor prescribe something better. Does anyone have any suggestions. It drives me crazy that he sneezes all day and it ...

Has any one out there had a allergy due to cold weather during winter?
i have a persistent sore throat whent to urgent care they did culture was neg but they saw nothing wrong so tell me can witers cold are irrate your throat all day every day let me know if you have ...

Anyone get hayfever? Allergies to pollen?
I get really bad hayfever this time of year and yesterday I took Zyrtec for it. I had sore eyes all day, they felt as though they were bruised whenever I put any pressure on them, this morning when I ...

Do you have a home remedy for?
that allergy/sinus constant drainage tickle in the back of your throat that causes you to cough your head off (especially at night). I am a nurse and I've tried every OTC and Rx I have, but ...

Im wheat intolerant could i be yeast intolerant?
Am suffering with same symptoms that i get when ive eaten wheat eg bloatedness,indigestion,tummy ache etc,have only noticed this after drinking guinness
Additional Details

Can an 8 month old child be allergic to all fruits?
I have given him:

Stawberries
Peaches
Pinapples
Pears
Sweet Potatoes

What could it be???...

Help with nasal allergies?
I have had nasal allergies for years that are getting worse. It feels like there are little bugs crawling around in my nose. If i roll over in bed, bend over or touch my nose it is automatic ...

cuteness
Is it common to be allergic to apples?
after I ate an apple this morning my lips started itching and I got hives around them. Plus the inside of my mouth kind of hurt... But to my knowledge I've never been allergic to apples before... although I did just find out I am allergic to cantolope and watermelon recently...is this a common allergy?
Additional Details
and is it possible it's something that I just 'developed' as I got older?

Kara Joy
Probably not, but I am allergic to oranges, so...I guess it is perfectly normal to be allergic to a certain food...

versantly
Rating
it might be for you.

Somebody's Mommy
Rating
That's weird that you bring this up. My friend started having problems with apples lately, too. But, it was only certain kinds. Her throat gets all itchy, and a little tight. I think the doctor said it had more to do with the tree it came from. But, yes, an allergy of some sort. You can develope them over time, and grow out of them over time.

slurper
i don't know anyone that is allergic to apples (and my cousins have quite the list of allergies). however, as they got older they found out more of their allergies and are allergic to things like watermelon, milk, grass, etc. sounds like you're allergic but i would get it checked out to know for sure!

Happy Penguin
I have never heard of anyone with that allergy.

It is presumably possible though.

Could it have been something on the apple which made your mouth sore, rather than the apple itself?

pennypincher
Rating
That is called oral allergy syndrome. It is usually linked with pollen allergies. I used to be allergic to nearly all raw fruits and vegetables. After I had desensitation shots for my pollen allergies, my allergy to raw fruits and vegetables went away. I think it is getting more common. Back in the 60's, when I had it bad, no one else had heard of it. Now I hear of it a lot on yahoo answers. You get hayfever too, don't you?

Traci
Rating
Yes it is entirely possible to be allergic to apples and to develop the allergy later in life. A few years ago I started finding other people with allergy apple and it is becoming more common. In the 90s it was more common amongst people from a Mediteranian heritage and was thought to effect 1 in a 10 thousand people. Yes, I felt real special.

I had my first reaction to an apple whilst pregnant in 1993. It took me a year to work out what it was (I have other allergies) and by that stage it had progressed to an anaphylactic reaction. Some people can tolerate cooked apple. I am so sensitive that I react to apple powder within a product. Apple is used as a filler in a great many products.

What you do need to check though is if you are reacting to the apple itself or what is on the apple. Try thickly peeling it and eating only from deep inside to see if you still react. So many things are sprayed on our food that it's near impossible to tell what a person is reacting to if it's the outside.

Good luck.

BeverlyAnn
Rating
Apples are known as one of the major foods involved in so-called "Oral Allergy Syndrome", which presents at the mucosa of lips, tongue and throat after ingestion of apples and other fruits. Apple allergies are most frequently associated with birch pollinosis in Northern Europe and North America. People who have allergies to birch-pollen may also be allergic to Apples due to the similarity between specific proteins.

People who react to this allergen can tolerate cooked apple and juices because the allergen does not survive cooking and pasteurisation. Only fresh apples cause the reaction. Individuals who have this allergy often develop adverse reactions to other fruits including pear, apricot, melon, banana, nuts such as hazelnut, or vegetables such as celeriac (celery tuber) and carrot.

The amount of allergen in the fruit is influenced by the apple variety, the degree of repeness and storage conditions. Allergists say coping strategies include cooking the fruit and taking antihistamines.

silent gams
I've never heard of it before. Thanks for asking this. I've learned a lot from the responses. My son has an allergy to bananas and he seldom eats other fruits due to fear he may have a similar reaction to them. It happened suddenly one year. He has bad allergies too, hayfever.

Again, thanks.

Mz_Nessa
did you wash the apple before eating it?

Elanshaw
Rating
My mother has that problem..she can't eat any fresh fruit at all.

It was an allergy that developed as she got older.

Gal in MN
My father in law is allergic to raw apples (no matter how clean) and sometimes pears - he has no problems with baked apples though.

Yes, allergies can develop as you get older... you can also "grow out of" allergies too.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Thursday, December 18, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy